Monday, January 25, 2010

2 for the PRICE of 1


When I was 5 years old a wonderful man entered into my life. He was very muscular, had medium length dark brown hair (keep in mind it's the 80's people), and the other kids in my life loved him. The first few times I saw him my friends would go run and climb up onto him! He would laugh and tickle them. I found him to be a very fun and safe person. This man was Ricky. My mom fell in love with him and he became my stepdad.


Cliche and overly filled with negative meaning word...StepDad!


My experience of having a stepdad has been wonderful! For many many many years I called him Ricky (his name is Richard and people call him Rick but I call him...Ricky). He has been an everlasting constant in my life. Does not have lots of surprises or overdramatic moods. Just people loving, greatest hugger on the planet, quiet, gentle, wonderful singing voice, constant helper, fixer, supporter and friend...My DAD.


When I was a teenager/young adult I asked him what he thought when he met my young mom who had a 5 year old kid. He said "I never really thought anything of it. I love kids! I have always loved kids. I was getting 2 for the price of 1."


That is my favorite answer in the whole wide world. Because I know he's telling me the truth.


Yesterday he asked mom to bring him to the hospital because his right side was hurting tremendously. A week or so ago he went into the doctor for pain in his leg (they told him it was a vericose vein). He went in yesterday and found out he has two blood clots. One in each lung. He has to be on blood thinner's now and give himself a shot each day. We're so thankful that YOU have kept him safe, Lord. Thank You!


Thank you friends for being faithful in prayer...believing that it works. Because I have been part of so many times that it does. It works every day in a mighty, mighty, mighty, way.


Thank you Ricky for being the man you are in my life. I am blessed. I love you.


1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow! We'll keep your family in our thoughts and prayers!